The Jukebox: The End

We were supposed to see the Friday and Saturday night showings of Grease, but due to a nor’easter that blew through on Friday, the Friday show was canceled and rescheduled to Sunday.  So finally, on Saturday night, I was able to see our jukebox light up on stage for the first time.  It worked flawlessly.  I was worried about the lights not being bright enough to outshine the stage lights, but the jukebox ended up being bright enough to color the set pieces despite the stage lights being on at full power… And that was with the white vinyl tubing around the lights.  We ended up using a 12 volt 10 amp mains transformer to power everything, but the particular adapter we bought ended up getting fried on closing night.  The lights on the jukebox only pulled about 6 amps,  but the adapter had trouble powering everything.  I think the 10 amp rating was pretty liberal.  The fog system that I built with Chaz for Into The Woods looked fantastic as well, and made a huge impact with the moving lights the school rented for the show.  Great job to the Delaware Valley Regional High School Theater department!

Part of the Jukebox Crew with their machine. From left to right: Shanice, Dante, Me, Hayleigh

Right at the end of the Sunday showing, we took some pictures with the jukebox, but there are two problems with the pictures.  Not everybody who worked on the project is in the picture, and the lights aren’t on (Because they were fried by this point.  We will get that replaced and the jukebox will most likely be loaned out to other area high schools for their theater productions.

It took a lot of work, planning and wiring, but I am very happy with the way this came out.  A big shoutout to Dante (wiring, building the red and white button bar, speaker grille, record player, and other trim work, troubleshooting shorted jumpers, and soldering over 1000 connections), Hayleigh (cutting those 1000 jumpers, cutting other wires), Lucy (painting), Ophelie (painting and moral support), Shanice (installing some of the record player cavity light strips), and Mr. Josh Paul (keeping us from doing anything stupid and dangerous, moral support).

Thank you to Mr. Clinton Ambs for giving us this opportunity to learn by doing while building something so fantastic.  Without him, I never would have had these opportunities to learn while building systems for the theater department.

Network Overhaul, and the Addition of an R710

My lab has been running pretty stable now for at least a solid year, so naturally it is time to make some changes.  I have some new things I want to experiment with that I just don’t have the flexibility for.  I have to completely overhaul my rack and everything in it, and I have some points that will hopefully make my compute environment more conducive to my compute goals and planned future experimentation.

Continue reading “Network Overhaul, and the Addition of an R710”

My Plan for This Blog

Despite having a limited amount of time to write for this blog, I am going to try to write at least one to two posts per week.  I’ll start with stories form the past, and start writing more about the present when I start running out of things to write about.  This is completely new to me, so bear with me as I find my voice and figure out my rhythm.  I hope I can figure this out because I know that I have information that may be valuable you some of you, and I want to have a good archive to look back on in a few years.  Check back regularly!